Thursday, March 27, 2008

So much is new!!

I just finished my last assignment of the year! In a few hours I have to present a poster I made (on cytokines, COOL!) and then I am done with my master's degree classes.

... Kind of. I have 6 exams in May and they are all worth 50% of my final grade.
In the mean time I will be in the lab full-time. Then I will be working hard to finish my thesis.

But I have plenty to look forward to in the mean time. --> MOM IS COMING!

Amusing public transportation stories:

A suit-ed and booted man was sitting next to a homeless-looking man on the tube. Both appeared to be in their fifties. The disheveled man was doing a sudoku and his pencil broke. The city man immediately offered him his pen. The homeless man pulled out another pencil and said, "Thank you, boss, but I always carry a spare." Isn't that lovely?

A few weeks earlier, I was at my stop at Old Street and for the first time ever I the train was so busy I couldn't get to the doors to exit in time. A city man noticed my horror and demanded that everyone 'make way' for me to make it out of the train. I did, but was followed by a suit. He said, "Miss, I believe you dropped this." ...It was my iPod. The earbuds were still in my ears, and I was apparently dragging it. I would have had a grave surprise when the wire snapped as the train pulled away. I love that man.

The other week I jumped onto a train just as the doors were beeping (closing). I was successful... kind of. The doors closed on my backpack, so I looked like a bug who flipped over. It took what seemed like ages for an elderly man and a young chav to pull the doors back open. Then I had to stand there in the train as 'that girl.' And take out my iPod to thank them.

The point is: there is a lot of good will on the Underground!

The last few weeks have been busy! We had our monthly clothes-swap last Thursday. As you know, I am slightly cooler than most people. Apparently my coolness has caught on and now everyone wants a piece of the swap! We waited in line from 8:30-10:00. Can you believe this? Viva la swap!? I think it has run it's course for me...


PHOTO: My friends and me at the Barbican!

No comments: