Wednesday, October 10, 2007

let's see this year through

Today, was a restless day in a restless week! I just returned from the doctor. You will be glad to hear that I am in perfect health and can now start taking advantage of this free health care system as if I were a British citizen. Isn't this country wonderful? I also turned in my project sheet today. In about a week I will find out which project I will be working on for the next year. These were the organisms in order of my preference: 1. HPV 2. Neisseria meningitis 3. Trichomonas vaginalis. All microbes, which was most important to me. Tv would be interesting because I've never worked with a protozoan before. Either way, I'll be happy with the project. As soon as I find out which one I am doing, I will let you know the (broad) details of the actual experiment.

In other school news, we were talking about shotgun cloning and the professor asked us why it was called 'shotgun' cloning. He said, "Why not rifle? Does anyone here know what the difference is between a shotgun and a rifle?" Silence ... "Oh, I thought we had some Americans in here. I'm sure they'd know."

My laundry day on Sunday was a bit of an embarrassment. I brought over my laundry (and Ashley's of course, that slut). I was asked if I needed some detergent, but I brought over my own because I didn't want to be a total mooch. Then I hear, "Have you been doing you
r laundry with this?" Yes, once. "Dear, this is laundry softener." CRAP. I felt like he enjoyed that, really enjoyed that.... That explains why the stink from the flight never really wore out of the IU shirt. For the record, Ashley bought the "detergent," Not me.

I have been in London for exactly one month now. Why am I sad that the year is already 1/12 over?

The photo: My school, which is right next to the wonderful BT Tower. If you have seen V for Vendetta, that is where Natalie Portman's character works, as well as where V breaks in to take over London's airwaves. God, that's a great movie...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelle,

For the record, I don't believe that HPV can be considered a microbe. Perhaps you should brush up on your Microbiology. But that is all I will say about that.

Why didn't you speak up for us gun-loving Americans.?!?!?!?

The first month did seem to go by more quickly than anticipated.... But don't worry. As the temp drops so will the pace of everyday life. Afterall it is now in the 40s back home.

PS Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize.

KB

Michelle said...

microbe
noun
a minute life form (especially a disease-causing bacterium); the term is not in technical use
Not in technical use, but I am not a technical girl.

Al Gore rocks my socks off.

wow. you guys went from the 90s to 40s quickly.