Saturday, September 22, 2007

Let's play Ketchup.

THURSDAY: Ashley and I gathered our dirty things (ie. everything) and did some much needed laundry. (It was day three in my blue argyles...) The launderette (what a ridiculous word) in our complex is 3£ per load, so we called e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e in London - in the north, in the south- to find somewhere cheaper. It is 3£ everywhere. We sucked it up, combined our 3 loads of clothes. Then we each vowed to do everything possible make a friend with washing/drying facilities in our travel zone. (Success: see Friday) Then it was 20 pence to dry. Not too bad. Oh wait, the machine stops after 3 minutes. So, make that 20 pence every 3 minutes! We just kept throwing 20p coins in the machines. Finally, when we were out of even our copper (1 and 2p coins [complete junk, usually]) we just walked home with damp clothes. I've had them scattered around my room for the past 48 hours.

Later in the evening I went to a 'girls night' event with a facebook friend at a posh bar near Trafalgar. A professional stylist curled my hair. Well, it was given a good wave, which lasted approximately 1 hour. I did get a goodie bag with all sorts of nice things. Earlier in the evening the club had only girls in it, which was really fun. At about 10 they started letting men in. This was the first time (and last time) in history I had a hand at getting a man kicked out of a club. Later, Ashley and I went dancing at TigerTiger, to commemorate school starting, when nothing will be the same!

FRIDAY: OK.... I slept late. Really late. Anyway, by the time I was finally awake and functioning it was about time to go ice skating, which, by the way- I am really good at. ... or at least good considering I had only skated once before. I was better than most newbies. In fact, one girl was inching her way along, holding on to the edge of the rink and fell. Instinctively she grabbed whatever she could. What did she grab? My hair. Luckily, she must have realized what she did and let go because I didn't go down. And good for her, because my feet had actual blades attached to them, and I was much more skilled at using them, and she was already down. But, nah, she let go, so I was a good sport.

I felt bad because ice-skating was expensive, so I treated my friend to a game of bowling. This costs 12 dollars/person. This made me suck.so.much.air! He told me he thought we were also required to rent shoes. I pretended I didn't hear him. In London, I am considered a really really good at bowler. He asked me why I was so good. I am from Indiana, I say. (I bowled an 80!!!) Then we went to a pub boat on the embankment and took in some nice night time views of the city. Priceless! And my friend lives in zone 2 (Brixton....) and has a washer and dryer. Because I am willing to sacrifice being knived for free, clean laundry. Ashley has also stated that the risk is well worth it.

TODAY: I started getting sick so I rested a lot. Finally I got up and went to one of my favorite museums in London, the Tate Modern. What a great place! A lot of people go there to just hang out all day. I know this because there is one really long wall that is painted black. There are couches facing the wall and people are constantly sitting there sleeping, reading, drawing, writing, etc. It is mostly great for this reason: I was walking around and saw some 'creamer cups.' You know, those things you get at gas stations and put in coffee to make it taste delicious. NO ONE PUTS CREAM IN COFFEE HERE. They use milk. And usually skim milk. They are degenerates (when it comes to coffee). I walked FAST to the cafe, bought a cup of coffee and put 3 little cups of cream in my coffee (it wasn't half and half...) and one little cup of milk. This is what it tasted like: Goddamn heaven.

New photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mdmetcal/LastOfIndianaFirstOfLondon

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley is adorable.

Sorry cleanliness is so expensive in London.

Very exciting day, the 50th Annual Corn Festival! Took many parade pictures for you (hope you appreciate). Only one disappointment - no Walmart semi. Otherwise, nice to visit with Jeannie, Forrest, Marlyn and Al.

Do a favor for me? Ask Lauren where is the nearest train to Chicago from Merriville? Need to know this soon - will be going there (Merriville) in early October.

Love Mom - Hope you feel better.

Anonymous said...

Hi My Bell:
Great pictures of London etc. Have another great day.
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

You "mustard" be very busy - you're not blogging.


Mom

Michelle said...

sorry.

Michelle said...

School started today. Going to do a few things. Then I'll update....

Lauren Brankle said...

Hi Michelle's Mom!

I think that the Miller (Gary) station is closest to Merrillville (and Brian agrees)!

This website has all the information, and can give you better maps if you're not sure what station you want to go to:

http://www.nictd.com/service/stations.htm

I hope that helps!!

Oh yeah, Hi Michelle!! (I'm on test 4 of 6 for this week...so i'll write more later!) Miss you XOXO