Saturday, September 15, 2007

Stella and I have been fully reacquainted.

I am finally fully functioning in London time. I had a wonderful sleep last night and didn't feel at all like a blob today!

About London, I know from experience that it is the most dangerous place on the planet.... if you can't always remember to look in the non-intuitive direction when crossing streets. A double-decker and me almost got really really intimate yesterday.

I think everyone has heard the old wise-tale that people on the tube never make eye contact. I would like to then know why everyone on the tube feels like striking up a conversation with me!! The most interesting example of this happened yesterday, when a guy my age came on the tube and started talking to me one stop before I was to get off. I would like to know what he said, but I was listening to my iPod. So I just nodded. A minute later I put my iPod away because I hate trying to do it on the escalators and in the busy stations. All of a sudden he was chatting me up, and I said, "OK, this is my stop, buh-bye." He asked for my number... by then the doors had open. I told him I didn't know it (which is true!!). He insisted on getting OUT OF THE TRAIN and putting his number in my phone. Whaaat??? Everyone on my train just stared at us, probably seconding my emotion (total shock). It was really really mortifying....

Thursday and Friday I saw my friends from last summer. That was really nice. It made London seem less foreign. It was also nice to see familiar faces, even if they weren't ones from home... The trouble is that it was really hard to understand them. But, now I know that a "do" is a party, and a "bird" is a lady. And that you can be banned from an internet company for being a hell bent racist.... against your own race (Indians......).

Anyway, I am really happy to be here! I thought it would be euphoric at first, but it wasn't, which really disappointed me the first day. It seemed like I had just been here yesterday, but when I thought about it that made me feel really confident and reassured about coming back.

Tomorrow is the Prince concert!! Unfortunately that means I can't watch the Colts game!!! But the CUBS are in FIRST PLACE!! Up by 1.5 games. St. Louis has fallen apart!!! WHAT!WHAT!

Michelle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I memoried you at the Elks Friday night - Drank a Corona w/lime (no Stella there as you are well aware).

Mom

Anonymous said...

How Was .the artist.

KB

the human said...

That is hilarious and awesome. Random tube guys...hah! I don't remember any from when we were there, they must just like you. How long is the school year there? I might be coming back to the British Isles as a graduation present (a pretty big might).